Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Moms I Admire

I've been thinking a lot about motherhood, and what makes us the moms that we are. I know we learn a lot from our own Moms, so I admire my mom Diane. She was and still is a very thoughtful person. She takes time on little details to make me and others feel special. One of my favorite things that she does is arranges even the most simple meal in a beautiful way on a plate. She takes time to make the plate look pretty. When me or Sarah were sick when we were growing up she would fix a meal and put it on a tray with a small vase and a flower. Then she would serve us lunch in bed. She took good care of us when we were sick, and she still does the same when she comes to help take care of me after having my babies. Thank you Mom for that. I try to do that now with Griffin and when Jack gets bigger for him too. Of course I admired my Nana and Granny. Nana could make a meal like you would not believe. She had a way of just making it bigger and bigger, so anybody that walked through the door would have plenty to eat. Between all the kids, grand kids, and our friends, she could make a meal stretch. We always called it "miracle food", because ther was plenty to eat, and usually some left over. My favorite memory of my Granny was her soft skin and how she dressed. She almost always wore a dress or a skirt. She also liked wearing pink. I think that is why I love pink so much. She also always kept aprons in her kitchen. She would wear them while she cooked. She always had one for me to wear too. Anytime I cook a big meal, or a special meal, I like to wear an apron just like hers. I even have a little apron that was mine that Griffin wears now. And now I have a another special mom, my Mother in law Kristi. She has such a tender heart for people and for animals. She is not afraid to jump in and get her hands dirty. She helped many of her church members pick up the pieces of their homes after a terrible tornado a few years ago in Kansas. My Mother in law came to see us recently, and mowed our back yard in 90 degree weather, with a push mower. I was so grateful. Thank you for your spirit of hard work and love for others.
Some other very special moms I admire are the ones who persevered through hard pregnancies, lost their babies, and had faith and trust in God to get pregnant again. Thank you so much for your beautiful and humble examples. My heart and prayers go out to Melissa Hicks, Shannon King, Mia Jenkins, and Amber Gross. I know there are many others, these are just the stories that I know personally. I have made it my prayer priority to pray for my pregnant friends, and those who are wanting to get pregnant. Please know that I love you girls and I admire you all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God made moms to be special people. They have a greater physical, mental & emotional endurance, they love without reason, they are considerate of others, helpful when needed, and they never grow too old or retire from being a mom. Through example their legacies go on. Thank God for our moms.

Anonymous said...

You are a great Mom Amanda, and others will look at your strength and faith and be amazed at what a terrific child of God you are!

ma said...

Amanda, what a beautiful testimony. Thanks so much for sharing. You and your precious family are in my prayers. Love Sara and Summer's ma.

Songs I like


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones